CampNaNo is officially half over and I am officially half done. My goal for Camp was 25k, not the 50k of November. I’m only doing THAT once a year, thank you very much.
I am struggling with this story a little bit – or I was – because it doesn’t want to go the way I want it to. I looked back at my blogs and I could swear I told you what this book was about. However, my last CampNaNo blog was a year ago. I haven’t even mentioned this book here, it seems.
So, my lovely readers, here goes.
This Camp book is inspired by the TLC show Four Weddings and a… and it is called Four Weddings and a Slaver…
This is the original plot outline (the beginning of it anyway)
Prologue: A producer is studying applicants, on a conference call with an Arab, a Russian and a man from South Africa. They are selecting couples who will win and end up in the slave markets. Laurie & Colin are chosen to go next.
- Start of show, intro to Laurie, her wedding is first, mediocre marks, cut to bits of other 3 weddings, end of show, Colin steps out of limo. Honeymoon destination is Rio de Janeiro (which will excite Laurie since she saw the film City of God.)
- Laurie and Colin in Rio, she finds an offer of a tour of the Favela (slums) in a welcome basket and urges Colin to accept. Laurie is disappointed in how honeymoon is going so far, hopes the tour will be good. Colin agrees to go to shut her up. During tour, swamped by children and young teens who separate them. Laurie is snatched and Colin is stabbed by what looks like a 17 y/o
- Laurie wakes up in a plane then again in a boat. Thirsty, cramping with need to relieve herself. Gets taken to toilet, fed sips of water, forced to stay on her feet. Given a half stale cheese sandwich then forced to walk roped to other women. Rocky terrain gives way to green foothills of a small central island. Dragged to a warehouse looking building and put in pens. Kept two weeks
- Sold to Exhibit A brothel. Cleansing, indoctrination. Whole process, ten days
- Starts finding herself liking the exhibitionism and some bdsm aspects
- Earns outing privileges
However, this happened:
3. Laurie wakes up in a plane then again in a boat. Thirsty, cramping with need to relieve herself. Gets taken to toilet, fed sips of water, forced to stay on her feet. Given a half stale cheese sandwich then forced to walk roped to other women. Rocky terrain gives way to green foothills of a small central island. Dragged to a warehouse looking building and put in pens. Kept two weeks
4. Sold to Exhibit A brothel. Cleansing, indoctrination. Whole process, ten days
5. Starts finding herself liking the exhibitionism and some bdsm aspects
6. Earns outing privileges
Laurie had far more grace under pressure than I gave her credit for. Her captor, Mateus, ended up killing her new husband Colin (who was a major dick anyway) and driving Laurie to the coast, well south of Rio de Janeiro, Laurie was shockingly calm through it all.
When Mateus got them to their destination they were at the top of a cliff and Laurie balked a little at bottom of the steep stone steps to the beach. Mateus reminded her that she was brave and strong and that good behaviour would earn her less pain.
Laurie nodded and followed him silently. When they got to the bottom and she saw three large, roughly dressed men, she balked, digging her heels in. “Mateus,” she whispered. “I can’t do this. I can’t. I can’t get in that boat.”
Mateus held up his hand to the men as they started forward. He turned to Laurie and gripped both her shoulders. “If you don’t go quietly,” he said softly, “they will hurt you. I know you’re scared and that this isn’t right but if you flip out and cause trouble they will hurt you. Be docile. Be sweet. You will be fine.”
Laurie took a deep breath and nodded, knowing that he was right. “Okay, Mateus.” She let him lead her forward.
Off shore, aboard the large cargo ship that serves the black market, the captain and first mate are watching the exchange through binoculars. This is not apparent in the narration of the story but it shows up later. Laurie’s hesitation and resolve are noted by the captain as is her willingness to board the long boat that would take her to the ship. It moves him to meet her as she arrives at the ship and he ends up personally escorting her to her prison below decks.
However, the man cannot stop thinking about her and he invites her to dinner. Their physical attraction to each other shocks them both.
Annnnnnnnd that’s where the story changes from a dark comedy to a (hopefully not too insipid) romance-or-something.
What the fuck.
There are moments when I hate that my characters take over their stories. I am curious though. They haven’t made up their minds whether to let me sell her to the brothel or if Mikhail is going to buy her at the auction and send her home. I have just over 12,000 words to find out.
And I think I will cut the description of the sex scene short in order to move the story along.
Sorry, ladies. 😉